Sunday, April 27, 2008

More names on the list

Genesis 18:16-33

1. What does Abraham's prayer teach us about intercession?

Abraham's prayer teaches us the power of intercession. God says He "will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."

Intercession is powerful because it reaches God and God will do something about it.

2. What does it teach us about God?

God is a righteous God who does not tolerate sin. Yet He is merciful to those who are righteous. The LORD said, "If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake." That began a bargain between Abraham and God where in the end, God had to say "For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it."

This teaches us that God is gracious and will protect those who are righteous in His name. He does not wipe everyone (regardless righteous or not) out just for the sake of punishing sin.

No comments: